What are some ways to parent an ADHD child?

To help you and your child cope, you can try parent training, which teaches you how to help your child with ADHD (and helps you cope with it too).

• Keep to the same routine every day, from early morning until bedtime. Include set times for play and homework, and post the schedule in a prominent place so your child can see it.
  • Help your child organize everyday items, such as clothing, backpacks, and school supplies. Keep everything in the same place.
  • Use notebooks and organizers to make sure your child writes down homework assignments and brings home needed books and supplies.
  • Remember to praise your child. Children with ADHD receive a lot of criticism, so look for good behavior and hand out gold stars whenever it happens (yes, gold stars still work).
  • Ask your child’s teacher to provide feedback to your child in private and to avoid asking your child to do a task in front of others that might be too difficult for him.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Teens and Driving
ADHD Teens and Driving
Teens and driving are a risky combo, especially when you consider that auto accidents are the leading cause of death in teens. Add ADHD to the equatio...
Could ADHD Mean a Shorter Life?
Could ADHD Mean a Shorter Life?
When we think of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, it brings to mind symptoms such as hyperactivity and impulsivity in children and a...
ADHD vs. ADD
ADHD vs. ADD
What Age Ranges Are Appropriate for Brain Fitness Games?