What kind of treatment do children with ADHD get?

Data from a national sample of children with special health care needs, ages 4-17 years, collected in 2009-10 showed that most children with ADHD received either medication treatment or behavior therapy; however, at that time many were not receiving treatment as outlined in the best practice guidelines released in 2011 by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).

• Less than 1 in 3 children with ADHD received both medication treatment and behavior therapy, the preferred treatment approach for children ages 6 and older.
  • Only half of preschoolers (4-5 years of age) with ADHD received behavior therapy, which now is the recommended first-line treatment for this group.  
  • About half of preschoolers with ADHD were taking medication for ADHD, and about 1 in 4 were treated only with medication.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Side Effects of ADHD Medication
Side Effects of ADHD Medication
Medications help many children manage ADHD symptoms, but it's important to know that they can also cause side effects. While most possible side effect...
How can being in nature help me focus if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Many of my clients with attention deficit disorder ADD have found that being in nature dramaticall...
Why do adults with ADD find it hard to let go?
As an attention deficit disorder (ADD) adult, you have the ability to almost channel what other pe...
What Are the Symptoms of ADHD in Children?