What is self-handicapping in children with ADHD?

Negative feedback may cause your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to give up trying, or to self-handicap. Self-handicapping may be a strategy your child has developed to protect his self-esteem. This ineffective coping strategy can sometimes result from learned helplessness. If your child fails at something and can believe that he didn't really try, he can hold on to the possibility that he would do well if he did try. In the face of consistent and frequent negative feedback, children are likely to adopt self-defeating coping styles to protect some remnant of self-respect. Other symptoms of ADHD, such as losing things, not following through on instructions, and forgetfulness, can also be seen as aspects of your child's strategy to protect himself through self-handicapping.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Once hedge-funder Martin Shkreli got his hands on the rights to the life-saving, toxoplasmosis medication, Daraprim, he raised its price from $13.50 p...
How prevalent is ADHD in children?
Sources report a range of statistics regarding the numbers of children with attention deficit hypera...
How can I cope with my feelings and others people's attitudes if I have a child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Coping with your feelings if you have a child with ADHD If you have a child with attention deficit h...
How to Boost Your Concentration
How to Boost Your Concentration