What are some reasons a child with ADHD might misbehave?

Sometimes problems are simply the result of unfortunate learned behaviors. For example, if your child blurts out inappropriate comments in social settings, it may be because he finds the eye-popping, jaw-dropping reactions he gets from adults to be stimulating. Your child may be interpreting these visual cues as positive reinforcement. Remember that a major interpersonal gift of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is that these children are tuned in to people's emotional reactions and attend more to nonverbal cues than to what adults actually say.

Additionally, sometimes bad behavior can be easily managed by working on solving problems in the conditions preceding such behavior.

When you interpret your child's behavior as the cause of, rather than a reflection of, family tensions, your sensitive child easily senses the blame he's subject to and internalizes an image of himself as bad. The more the diagnosis causes you to blame him for family tensions, even if you don't express this blame verbally, the more he will feel the blame and internalize it. And the more he blames himself, the more he tends to think of himself as bad and unable to control his behavior. The more he thinks of himself this way, the more his behavior will reflect this internal image.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Gain Control Over Negative Self-Talk
Gain Control Over Negative Self-Talk
“I'm so stupid.” “I'm always messing things up.” “No one ever wants to be with me.” For those with ADD, these types of negative beliefs are common....
What particular issues affect women with ADHD?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Women with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may feel more stress, anxiety, depres...
How can I get my partner who has ADD to listen to me?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
I think it's important for your attention deficit disorder (ADD) partner to learn to pay closer ...
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?