What are the problems with the school system for children with ADD?

Many experts now agree that the current education system is itself outdated and doesn't prepare students for the globally connected world we now live in, especially students with attention deficit disorder (ADD). Instead, the school system still prepares kids for the work life of the industrial revolution era. Time Magazine did a cover story on the failings of the current education system; it started with the joke that Rip van Winkle went to sleep for a hundred years and woke up today. The only thing he recognized was the classrooms.

In part because of lack of resources and in part because of the focus on standardized measures of success, the education system hasn't moved to accommodate the dazzling technological advances of the digital age. ADD traits are a poor match for this outdated educational system. While mainstream teaching philosophy has expanded into alternate teaching techniques catering to individual styles, these developments are being put into place only recently, and with budget cutbacks these sophisticated approaches may not be applied in many settings across the country even now. And unfortunately, as many parents and psychologists report, even in classrooms led by teachers skilled in accommodating the entire spectrum of learning styles, students with ADD typically don't thrive. As a result of childhood difficulties, you may have come to think that the problem resides solely in you rather than in your environment. As a result, you may be trying to force yourself to adapt to an environment that just doesn't work for you.
The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths

If you have attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may act impulsively, daydream, and have trouble focusing, but clinical studies suggest that these same symptoms may make you exceptionally creative,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

A Mother's Concern About ADHD
A Mother's Concern About ADHD
Matthew, an active 7-year-old, and his mother, Judy, came to see me. From the moment Judy began talking, I noticed tears welling up in her eyes. "Mat...
How can I help my child with ADHD maintain a healthy mindset?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Improve your child's self-efficacy For a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),...
How common is adult ADHD?
Robert S. Johnson, MDRobert S. Johnson, MD
About 4% of adults are believed to have adult ADHD. The condition can be underdiagnosed in women, wh...
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus