What is the medical model of ADHD?

Although your psychologist, psychiatrist, or pediatrician may seem like an authority that you cannot challenge, many mental health providers do make a fundamental mistake.

A current trend in the mental health system is toward understanding psychological issues according to a medical model. The medical model involves viewing behavioral symptoms as organic diseases that should be treated with medical interventions. The medical model presents attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as a brain dysfunction to be treated with medication that changes the biology of the brain.

In summary, the fact that the constellation of behaviors labeled ADHD is considered a medical disorder conveys the expectation to parents, children, and teachers that behavior should be unchanging, constant, and made better only by medicine. In many ways, the diagnosis creates an expectation that manifests in the very symptoms it sets out to describe.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Affirmation Important for Kids with ADHD
Several years ago when Hank Aaron was asked, “What would you do differently if you played baseball today?” the always graceful home-run king (at the t...
Why do some people with adult ADD need to move in order to think?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may feel like you need to be moving to thi...
What is overfocused attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
In order to focus, it is necessary to continually be able to shift your attention. People suffering ...
What Can I Do at Home to Help My Child with ADHD?