What is temporal lobe attention deficit disorder (ADD)?

People with temporal lobe attention deficit disorder (ADD) have the hallmark features of ADD plus symptoms associated with temporal lobe problems, such as issues with learning, memory, mood instability, aggression, temper outbursts, and sometimes, even violence. It is not unusual to see this type of ADD in people who have had head injuries.

Temporal lobe ADD single-photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT) scan findings show decreased activity (and infrequently increased) activity in the temporal lobes at rest and during concentration, as well as decreased activity in the underside of the prefrontal cortex, cerebellum and basal ganglia during concentration.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Best Doctors for ADHD
Best Doctors for ADHD
If you suspect that you have an attention disorder, ADHD or ADD, your first instinct may be to contact your primary care physician or family doctor—a ...
How has our understanding of ADHD changed over the years?
Our understanding of ADHD has changed more than television since I Love Lucy. And like an episod...
How can my adult attention deficit disorder (ADD) make me a leader?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
As an adult with attention deficit disorder (ADD), you're probably more interested in shaping your...
What Are the Symptoms of ADHD in Children?