What is classic attention deficit disorder (ADD)?

Classic attention deficit disorder (ADD) is usually evident early in life. As babies, they tend to be colicky, active and wiggly. As children, they tend to be restless, noisy, talkative, impulsive and demanding. Their hyperactivity and conflict-driven behavior gets everyone’s attention early on. 

Parents of these kids are often tired, overwhelmed and even embarrassed by the behavior of their non-stop and hard-to-control children. Classic ADD tends to be more frequently seen in boys.

Classic ADD is often called attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), with an emphasis on the hyperactive behavior trait.

Classic ADD single-photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT) scan findings show normal activity at rest, but during concentration there tends to be decreased activity in the underside of the prefrontal cortex, cerebellum and basal ganglia. The basal ganglia are structures deep within the brain that produce the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is critical to motivation, attention and setting the body’s idle speed.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Managing ADHD With CBT, Sleep Therapy and More
In one episode of The Simpsons, Principle Skinner calls in Marge and Homer to discuss Bart’s disruptive behavior that, he said, was fueled by attentio...
How can I cope with my feelings and others people's attitudes if I have a child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Coping with your feelings if you have a child with ADHD If you have a child with attention deficit h...
Why can adults with ADHD seem overly sensitive?
Some people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) feel things very deeply and it'...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration