Will my child show major changes while he is taking ADHD medications?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Each child responds differently to medications for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The American Academy of Pediatrics notes that behavioral changes in your child may be noticeable when they start taking ADHD medications. Since the purpose of ADHD medication is to alter the way people's brains work, your child will probably begin thinking, acting, and communicating differently.

While many of these changes will be for the better, some changes may be difficult. For instance, your child's mood and behavior may shift during the day as the medicine hits their bloodstream and then wears off. This may cause some irritability or temper tantrums at certain times of the day.

Try giving your child's medication at times of the day that best accommodate homework, meal times, and bedtime. Talk to your child's doctor or psychologist to figure out ways to help your child get through the day more smoothly.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
Finding out that your child has a condition such as ADHD can be difficult, to put it mildly. For many parents, it's life changing. When my husband and...
What is ring of fire attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
In ring of fire attention deficit disorder (ADD), there is a pattern of overall high activity in the...
What is parent training for ADHD?
Bob LivingstoneBob Livingstone
Question: How can I parent fearlessly? Do not watch the cable television ongoing presentation of ...
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus