What are some benefits of distractibility and impatience in adult ADD?

The key deficit of attention deficit disorder (ADD) is distractibility. But what distracts the ADD person? In addition to emotional sensitivity, in some cases it's the person's imagination. Perhaps you've lost interest in what is because you are enchanted by what may be. To imagine is to put your attention on a fleeting fantasy with no material substance. To focus is to keep your attention on something. Focus leads to follow-through. Distraction leads to exploration and creation. Boredom is a powerful impetus for bringing something new into the world.

This brings us to another ADD symptom: impatience. Impatience is a hallmark of the ADD adult. You may be crippled by boredom, irritated by delays, totally incapable of delaying gratification. This impatience can be a trigger for imagination. If the world isn't stimulating enough for you, impatience can lead you to create for yourself your desired gratification, if only in your mind. (If all good things come to those who wait, perhaps all good ideas come to those who can't stand to wait!)

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
Will my child outgrow ADHD?
It has long been accepted that combined therapy with medication and behavioral modification enables ...
Why do some people with adult ADD need to move in order to think?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may feel like you need to be moving to thi...
What Can I Do at Home to Help My Child with ADHD?