What allowances should schools make for children with ADHD?

Schools and teachers regularly make allowances for children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The problem is these allowances are usually stigmatizing or, at the least, do not allow the child to reach her full potential. Students may be taken out of class for remedial help, which may attract the notice and judgment of other students. These interventions may be humiliating and difficult for your child to tolerate. It seems worth advocating for your child’s teachers and schools to allow for small nature breaks in place of other forms of remedial intervention.

Similarly, small allowances in the classroom can prevent major outbursts. Simple behavioral interventions like permitting a child to get out of her seat on occasion can go a long way toward making school more tolerable for your child. As a parent, you can ask for behavioral interventions that are not punishing or humiliating for your child and can prevent major interruptions in the classroom.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Therapy and Counseling
ADHD Therapy and Counseling
While medications are often the frontline treatment for child ADHD, research shows behavioral therapies, such as counseling, skills-training, and ADHD...
How do I know if my child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Your child's doctor may make a diagnosis. Or sometimes the doctor may refer you to a mental health s...
What does ADHD stand for?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. ADHD is a clinical disorder that can cause...
What Can I Do at Home to Help My Child with ADHD?