When might symptoms of ADHD in my school-age child appear?

Michele Borba
More severe symptoms may surface in first and second grade when a child is unable to follow directions and complete only small quantities of work. Milder attention problems may not surface until third or fourth grade when kids are expected to function more independently. Symptoms are most likely to be seen at school where the child has greater difficulty completing class work and at home where homework can take several hours to finish.  About three to five percent of school-age kids are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD especially boys (by a 1:5 ratio) who tend to have more difficulty focusing.

Continue Learning about ADHD

8 Tips for Going Back to School With ADHD
Closing the book on summer break and heading back to school can be a struggle for any child. But back-to-school time can be particularly stressful for...
Does the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 cover adults with ADHD?
Some adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) qualify for benefits under the Reha...
What is parent training for ADHD?
Bob LivingstoneBob Livingstone
Question: How can I parent fearlessly? Do not watch the cable television ongoing presentation of ...
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?