How can I make sure that my child with ADHD is covered under IDEA?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) will need to be evaluated to determine whether they qualify for benefits under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). IDEA is a program ensuring that some children with ADHD have access to special education services.

If you think your child qualifies for special education services due to ADHD, contact your child's school counselor or school psychologist. The school counselor will guide you through the evaluation process. During this process, you may also work with your child's teacher and other school or counseling professionals. This team of professionals will communicate to determine the best way to serve your child's needs.

If the team members agree that your child qualifies for special education services under IDEA, you will meet together to create an individualized education plan (IEP) for your child. This IEP will outline specific interventions and modifications to help your child in school.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
Read More
Does ADHD affect women differently than men?
Dr. Michael Roizen, MDDr. Michael Roizen, MD
There is very little data on ADHD in women. We do know that it is less common in women. It occurs in...
More Answers
Will neurofeedback help people who have ADHD?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Neurofeedback is a process by which brain waves are monitored and then feedback designed to improve ...
More Answers
Can Healthy Eating Help With Childhood ADHD?
Can Healthy Eating Help With Childhood ADHD?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.