What kinds of specialists can help my child with ADHD with his IEP?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Your child's school counselor or school psychologist can help you secure an individualized education plan (IEP) for your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). When you recognize that your child needs additional services in school due to ADHD, take action. The school counselor or psychologist will guide you through the process. They can make any recommendations for testing or conferences. During the testing process, you may meet with one or more of the following specialists:

- special education professionals
- speech, language, or occupational therapists
- vision and hearing specialists
- physical therapists
- psychologists

Each specialist will assess your child as requested. Once the assessments are completed, you will meet with the school-based IEP team to discuss recommended interventions for your child's educational needs.

Continue Learning about ADHD

how can i manage the stress of parenting a child who has adhd ?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
There are several simple things you can do to reduce the stress of parenting a child who has attenti...
More Answers
how does attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (adhd ) affect adults and teens ?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Being a teenager isn't always easy. Teens with ADHD can have a tough time. School may be a struggle,...
More Answers
does attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (adhd ) go away with time ?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
The symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) often persist for life. This mea...
More Answers
7 facts about adhd all parents should know
7 facts about adhd all parents should know7 facts about adhd all parents should know7 facts about adhd all parents should know7 facts about adhd all parents should know
adhd can impact a child school performance . recognize the signs to help your child thrive . attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (adhd ) is a com...
Start Slideshow

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.