How do social skills training groups help children with ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
When kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) participate in social skills training groups, they learn valuable ways to have better interpersonal relations. The training groups concentrate on teaching behaviors that help kids with ADHD get along better with their peers and their family. This is usually done by teaching kids basic social skills, such as listening to others, and helping them avoid undesirable behavior, such as fighting or not sharing.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Can the Right Diet Help With ADHD Management?
Have you ever wondered whether certain foods might actually cause challenges in your ADHD management? If so, you're not alone. In fact, scientists als...
5 Benefits of Getting Treatment for ADHD
Having an attention disorder (ADHD or ADD) can feel a lot like being trapped in a turbocharged video game, with little chance to win. Your enemies and...
ADHD in the Classroom
ADHD in the Classroom
ADHD often reveals itself first at school. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses signs of ADHD and how to look for them.
How can I get my partner who has ADD to listen to me?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
I think it's important for your attention deficit disorder (ADD) partner to learn to pay closer ...