Should my child take medications for ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
The only way to know if a child should take medication for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is to have them evaluated by a doctor. The decision to treat a child for ADHD often comes after a lengthy evaluation, where your child's school, social, and behavioral experiences are assessed.

At times, a child may experience difficulties in one of these areas due to external factors that do not include ADHD. Perhaps you and your partner have been fighting frequently or the child has been bullied at school. If you cannot identify reasons your child might have behavior problems, like trouble paying attention or hyperactive behavior, contact a professional. A psychologist, pediatrician, or child psychiatrist can help you determine whether your child has ADHD and decide on an appropriate course of treatment.

Continue Learning about ADHD

adhd advice for smart parents
adhd advice for smart parents
finding out that your child has a condition such as adhd can be difficult , to put it mildly . for many parents , it life changing . when my husband a...
what are the types of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (adhd ) ?
There are three different types of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depending on whi...
what are the symptoms of adhd in children ?
can healthy eating help with childhood adhd ?