What school services are offered for my child with ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) qualify for special services or accommodations at school. Three federal laws apply to students with special needs:
  • the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (1975)
  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
  • the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) (1990)
Parents must be aware of their state and local laws and regulations. It may be helpful for students to be evaluated. This can determine any needs for special education or related services. These evaluations may include psychological and educational testing, speech/language evaluation, behavioral analysis, and occupational therapy assessment.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
Finding out that your child has a condition such as ADHD can be difficult, to put it mildly. For many parents, it's life changing. When my husband and...
Do the recommendations for ADHD treatment differ by age?
Yes, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) guidelines recommend treatments that differ, depending...
Why do parents blame themselves for their child's ADHD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Some of the popular literature on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) blames parents...
What Are the Symptoms of ADHD in Children?