What school services are offered for my child with ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) qualify for special services or accommodations at school. Three federal laws apply to students with special needs:
  • the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (1975)
  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
  • the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) (1990)
Parents must be aware of their state and local laws and regulations. It may be helpful for students to be evaluated. This can determine any needs for special education or related services. These evaluations may include psychological and educational testing, speech/language evaluation, behavioral analysis, and occupational therapy assessment.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Helpful Resources and Support for ADHD
Helpful Resources and Support for ADHD
Getting Support Having trouble managing your ADHD on your own? Or your child's? Successfully managing ADHD and living life to the fullest doesn't have...
How do I know if I have ADHD as an adult?
Edward M. Hallowell, MDEdward M. Hallowell, MD
The most powerful sign that you may have ADHD as an adult is unexplained underachievement, as well a...
How do child ADHD treatment patterns compare with the recommendations?
Data from a national sample of children with special health care needs, ages 4-17 years, collected i...
Is Your ADHD Teen Ready to Drive?
Is Your ADHD Teen Ready to Drive?