What is happening at the neuron level in a child with ADHD?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
We know that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disease. While some behaviors and habits might increase ADHD symptoms, ADHD is primarily genetic in origin. This means that if your parent or sibling has ADHD, you are more likely to have the disorder than other people whose relatives do not have the condition.

So how do we pass ADHD on? Well, brain size might be a key component. One study found that young people with ADHD had smaller brains than their peers. Experts also believe that the executive functions of the brain are associated with ADHD. Executive function includes areas of the brain responsible for getting work done, regulating feelings, communicating, solving problems, and other tasks. These areas of the brain work different in people with ADHD. Thankfully, stimulant medications can help. These drugs directly impact the executive functions of the brain, helping people with ADHD succeed.

In the brain of a child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), something is preventing the neural networks from being pruned. So, like an untended garden, those neural connections get overgrown and tangled.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

a Mother concern about adhd
a Mother concern about adhd
matthew , an active 7-year-old , and his mother , judy , came to see me . from the moment judy began talking , i noticed tears welling up in her eyes ...
what do children with adhd often struggle with ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Following are some of the things that children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) ...
what is the latest research on adhd ?
While much has been learned about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in recent year...
when was attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (adhd ) first discovered ?
The first reports of what we now call attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) appeared in 19...