What is happening at the neuron level in a child with ADHD?

ADHD is one of the most researched areas in child and adolescent mental health disorders. However, the precise cause of the disorder is still unknown. Available evidence suggests that ADHD is genetic. It is a brain-based biological disorder. Low levels of dopamine (a brain chemical), which is a neurotransmitter (a type of brain chemical), are found in children with ADHD. Brain imaging studies using PET scanners (positron emission tomography; a form of brain imaging that makes it possible to observe the human brain at work) show that brain metabolism in children with ADHD is lower in the areas of the brain that control attention, social judgment, and movement.
We know that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disease. While some behaviors and habits might increase ADHD symptoms, ADHD is primarily genetic in origin. This means that if your parent or sibling has ADHD, you are more likely to have the disorder than other people whose relatives do not have the condition.

So how do we pass ADHD on? Well, brain size might be a key component. One study found that young people with ADHD had smaller brains than their peers. Experts also believe that the executive functions of the brain are associated with ADHD. Executive function includes areas of the brain responsible for getting work done, regulating feelings, communicating, solving problems, and other tasks. These areas of the brain work different in people with ADHD. Thankfully, stimulant medications can help. These drugs directly impact the executive functions of the brain, helping people with ADHD succeed.

In the brain of a child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), something is preventing the neural networks from being pruned. So, like an untended garden, those neural connections get overgrown and tangled.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Managing ADHD With CBT, Sleep Therapy and More
In one episode of The Simpsons, Principle Skinner calls in Marge and Homer to discuss Bart’s disruptive behavior that, he said, was fueled by attentio...
Do children with ADHD experience emotional sensitivity or other problems?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
What can look like uncontrollable outbursts in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) child...
How can I help my child with ADHD maintain a healthy mindset?
Improve your child's self-efficacy For a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),...
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix