What are the most common subtypes of ADHD in children?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
According to the National Resource Center on ADHD, the most common subtype of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is the inattentive type. About 7% of all children in the United States have ADHD.

In a study published in 2007 in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, researchers studying over 3,000 U.S. children found this same result. In a group of 3,082 children, 222 children were diagnosed with ADHD. Of these, the most common subtype of ADHD was the predominantly inattentive type. Ninety-five children had this subtype, representing almost half of the children with ADHD. The next most common diagnosis was combined type, which was given to 72 children, or a third of the children with ADHD. Children with combined type have problems with both inattention and hyperactivity/impulsivity. The least common subtype in this sample was the predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type. Fifty-five children had this subtype of ADHD, or about a quarter of the children with ADHD.

There are three types of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): primarily inattentive, primarily hyperactive/impulsive, and the combined type. Boys tend to be diagnosed more frequently with the inattentive type while girls are more likely diagnosed with the combined type.

Continue Learning about ADHD

5 Ways to Help ADHD Kids Succeed at School
School can be tough for children for a lot of different reasons. For kids dealing with ADHD and school, succeeding can be especially difficult because...
What do I need to know about caring for a child with ADHD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Parents can help children deal with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) by giving them a...
How can I help my ADHD child deal with emotional outbursts?
Dr. Heath A. Cobb, MDDr. Heath A. Cobb, MD
If children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are unable to gain what they desire...
How Do I Know If I Have ADHD as an Adult?