How can I start the IEP process for my child with ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
For kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to be considered for an individualized education plan (IEP), they must first be selected for the program. This starts with a referral from parents, teachers, or doctors. Specific data about the student’s progress or problems are then collected. This can involve:
  • a conference with parents and/or the student
  • observation of the student
  • analysis of the student’s performance
Next, strategies are discussed to decide how to help the student perform better. The student may also be tested for learning disabilities. At this point, a diverse team of professionals is formed to evaluate the child.

Continue Learning about ADHD

8 Tips for Going Back to School With ADHD
Closing the book on summer break and heading back to school can be a struggle for any child. But back-to-school time can be particularly stressful for...
What is exuberance in adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Exuberance in adult attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a high-spirited liveliness; it's having lo...
What particular issues affect women with ADHD?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Women with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may feel more stress, anxiety, depres...
The Bright Side of Distractions
The Bright Side of Distractions