How should I talk with my child with ADHD about being cool?

When talking about being cool with your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you can remind your child that being cool means knowing what's cool and being able to play the game but also showing the self-possession to have your own ideas. Once you know what cool is, you can make a choice and sometimes create what's cool by doing something different with it.

Share with your child stories from your own childhood and observations you have made throughout your life of people who were cool and those who were not. You may also want to talk about how being cool in school relates to the real world. This will help your child put into perspective the struggles for popularity in school.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Living with Adult ADHD
Living with Adult ADHD
Work, money, relationships, emotional well-being and health—attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults can affect many areas of your li...
What do children with ADHD often struggle with?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Following are some of the things that children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) ...
Is ADHD a real disorder?
The mental health and medical communities agree that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
How Does Adult ADHD Affect My Relationships?