How can I support my child's strengths, while helping him with his ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A good way to help children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) focus on their strengths is to create successful experiences for them. Talk with your child and determine his or her strongest attributes or strengths. Does the child like music or art? Is the child a strong athlete or gymnast? Whatever it is that your child does best, make opportunities for this to happen.

While it is important for you to praise your child, it is also important for others to believe in your child's strengths. By engaging in activities the child enjoys, you can support your child's strengths and also boost feelings of confidence and self-esteem.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Helpful Resources for Childhood ADHD
Helpful Resources for Childhood ADHD
Getting Support Having trouble managing your child's ADHD on your own? Successfully parenting a child with ADHD doesn't have to be a solo journey. In ...
Which activities can help my child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Gardening When you take the time to examine your attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) chi...
Do adults with ADD have greater intuition?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Interpersonal intuition means that sometimes when someone with attention deficit disorder (ADD) ...
Improve Your Attention to Detail So You Can Work Smarter, Not Harder