How can I support my child's strengths, while helping him with his ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A good way to help children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) focus on their strengths is to create successful experiences for them. Talk with your child and determine his or her strongest attributes or strengths. Does the child like music or art? Is the child a strong athlete or gymnast? Whatever it is that your child does best, make opportunities for this to happen.

While it is important for you to praise your child, it is also important for others to believe in your child's strengths. By engaging in activities the child enjoys, you can support your child's strengths and also boost feelings of confidence and self-esteem.

Continue Learning about ADHD

7 Tips for Talking to Your Kid with ADHD
Everyone has their own way of communicating. Even when you know someone really well, they can say something that flies right over your head. So we lea...
How should I discipline a child with ADHD?
Children who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to have discipline...
How can I help my child with ADHD maintain a healthy mindset?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Improve your child's self-efficacy For a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),...
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix