How can I support my child's strengths, while helping him with his ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A good way to help children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) focus on their strengths is to create successful experiences for them. Talk with your child and determine his or her strongest attributes or strengths. Does the child like music or art? Is the child a strong athlete or gymnast? Whatever it is that your child does best, make opportunities for this to happen.

While it is important for you to praise your child, it is also important for others to believe in your child's strengths. By engaging in activities the child enjoys, you can support your child's strengths and also boost feelings of confidence and self-esteem.

Continue Learning about ADHD

what does it feel like when adults have adhd ?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can make adults feel constantly disorganized and...
what may help my adhd child in school ?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a recognized disability. Teenagers with ADHD qual...
how do child adhd treatment patterns compare with the recommendations ?
Data from a national sample of children with special health care needs, ages 4-17 years, collected i...
what can i do for my teen with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ?
Support your teen. Set clear rules for him or her to follow. Try not to punish your teen every time ...