How can the failure to follow social norms benefit an adult with ADD?

Attention deficit disorder (ADD) adults are notorious for social missteps ranging from insensitive comments to embarrassing outbursts. The same failure to follow social norms can lead to the creation of a new culture or new standard within a culture. An emotional person in a corporate culture may set a new standard of expressiveness. A member of a spiritual counterculture who touts the benefits of being rich and ambitious may similarly change the community's expectations and perspective. Additionally, a person who is sloppy and loose in speech may just be saying what others are thinking but are too constrained to say themselves. This vocalization is good for all of us: the more information a system has available to it -- the less that is hidden -- the more effective it will be in adapting to existing realities and meeting its goals while fulfilling its own values.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
Is ADHD a learning disability?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not a learning disability. ADHD is a behavioral d...
How can I cope with my feelings and others people's attitudes if I have a child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Coping with your feelings if you have a child with ADHD If you have a child with attention deficit h...
How Do I Know If I Have ADHD as an Adult?