How can I teach self-protection skills to my child with ADHD?

While you want to honor the tenderness of your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and at times cater to it, you also want to help her build skills of self-protection. A mama bear is an animal that is emblematic of the instinct to fiercely protect one's young. Think of stories you have heard or seen on TV of a mama bear acting decisively if she feels her young are threatened. Not only do you want to adopt this passionate kind of response, but you want to teach your child to find this feeling within herself so she can defend herself when attacked.

If you have any personal anecdotes to share with your child about a time when you became fiercely protective, she would love to hear it. As an example, I remember when my son was first born, and I was overcome with how powerful this force can be. I was in a parking lot with my son in a stroller and someone raced past me too closely for comfort and pulled into a parking space. I followed her and forcefully reminded her to drive more slowly and carefully. This behavior was totally new for me, but it represented a primitive force for protecting my young. Share a similar story with your own child as a template for how she needs to speak up to create a positive and safe reality for herself at school, on her sports team, and other places.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Succeeding in High School with ADHD
Succeeding in High School with ADHD
High school can be both exciting and emotional for any teen. But for teens who have attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the high school y...
What is interpersonal intuition in adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Many adults with attention deficit disorder (ADD) have a gift of interpersonal intuition -- a qual...
How can I cope with my feelings and others people's attitudes if I have a child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Coping with your feelings if you have a child with ADHD If you have a child with attention deficit h...
Improve Your Attention to Detail So You Can Work Smarter, Not Harder