How can I show respect for the opinions of my child with ADHD?

A strategy for honoring competing viewpoints with your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is to remember the power of experiments. This means that rather than saying to your child that he is right or wrong, you demonstrate an interest in testing his worldview or honoring it for short test runs. For example, like many children, your child may say that a class at school has no meaning to the rest of his life, so why should he care? Rather than fighting him, you can experiment with dropping the tug-of-war rope, giving him a chance to elaborate in great detail about what he imagines the rest of his life will be like and why this class is irrelevant. You don't have to buy his argument, but listen closely and show that you have heard what he said.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
How should I discipline a child with ADHD?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Children who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to have discipline...
Who makes up the support network for a child with ADHD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Support networks for children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) include parents, ...
ADHD vs. ADD
ADHD vs. ADD