How can a focus on procedural learning help my child with ADHD?

Procedural learning (learning a skill that requires practice, like riding a bike) means that I assume that you don't know how to accomplish a certain task, so I provide you with the resources, training, information, and modeling that you will need to learn the new skill. If you were trying to teach your child to ride a bike, you wouldn't put him in time-out each time he fell. You would show him what he needed to do differently, while providing emotional support and motivation to keep going. This approach can be applied to teaching your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) appropriate behaviors, emotional intelligence, and social skills. Instead of frustration for the parent and consequences for the child, the parent learns to implement the following elements of procedural learning:
  • Give information
  • Build skills
  • Problem solve
  • Use repetition
  • Motivate and persist
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Causes of ADHD
Causes of ADHD
How do you get attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or attention deficit disorder (ADD)? Some assign blame to poor parenting, incompetent t...
What can adults with ADHD do if they find getting organized difficult?
People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may consider hiring an organizationa...
Does attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) go away with time?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) does not go away with time and the effects can get w...
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations