How do I know if my child is hyperactive?

If your child has a lot of energy, then she is already blessed with that gift. But because she may have what seems like an excess of energy, she may have received the "hyperactive" label. However, what doctors and teachers call hyperactivity can also be called exuberance. Exuberance is characterized by high energy and an intense interest in and curiosity about the world. Exuberant children are often playful, intense, and fun to be around.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

A Mother's Concern About ADHD
A Mother's Concern About ADHD
Matthew, an active 7-year-old, and his mother, Judy, came to see me. From the moment Judy began talking, I noticed tears welling up in her eyes. "Mat...
What should I do if my child with ADHD doesn't want to go to school?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
If your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) says he doesn't want to go to sch...
How is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) diagnosed in kids?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is really a diagnosis of exclusion in kids. That mea...
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations