How do I know if my child is hyperactive?

If your child has a lot of energy, then she is already blessed with that gift. But because she may have what seems like an excess of energy, she may have received the "hyperactive" label. However, what doctors and teachers call hyperactivity can also be called exuberance. Exuberance is characterized by high energy and an intense interest in and curiosity about the world. Exuberant children are often playful, intense, and fun to be around.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

A Mother's Concern About ADHD
A Mother's Concern About ADHD
Matthew, an active 7-year-old, and his mother, Judy, came to see me. From the moment Judy began talking, I noticed tears welling up in her eyes. "Mat...
Can adults have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Grown-ups can have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), but they have more ability to co...
What are some benefits of distractibility and impatience in adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
The key deficit of attention deficit disorder (ADD) is distractibility. But what distracts the ADD...
6 Tips for a Happy Family
6 Tips for a Happy Family