How is impulsivity related to creativity in adult ADD?

Creativity demands an element of daring and impulsiveness. A person who creates is realistic enough to know the boundaries of what is normative, impulsive enough to constantly be jumping on the other side of that line, and daring enough to push it in other people's faces.

The creative urge is an impulse itself. When attention deficit disorder (ADD) adults behave impulsively, in many cases they are simply expressing their creativity. Indeed, impulsiveness may be irretrievably mixed up with creativity. In defining it as part of a disorder, with little reflection on what it is and where it comes from, the medical model has gone too far.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
Why do some people with adult ADD need to move in order to think?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may feel like you need to be moving to thi...
How can I help my ADHD child deal with emotional outbursts?
Dr. Heath A. Cobb, MDDr. Heath A. Cobb, MD
If children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are unable to gain what they desire...
Keep a Journal to Track Adult ADHD Symptoms