How can I help my child with ADHD soothe himself?

In the Spa Hour activity, you and your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) create an environment that promotes healing and self-care. You can include products such as candles, soothing music, scents, oils, or a foot-care package you can find at any drugstore. Whether your child is a boy or girl, they will benefit from the recreation of a soothing environment where you practice one or more skills of caring for the body. Together, you can soak your feet in warm water with oils or scents while playing music in the candlelight. You can practice applying a facial mask, or if you have a child who is squeamish about that, you can just show him basics of skin care. You can purchase a back scratcher or back roller and practice on each other. Use the time to have fun and connect with your child. Don't try to solve any problems or address difficult issues. The goal is just to have fun with your child and connect.

You can also create a basket for your child with some of the self-healing products you find and enjoy. You can gather them all in a basket and place the basket in a visible location to remind you and your child to practice self-care. You can include short meditation books, a pack of cards with yoga poses (I've seen these at stores like Whole Foods), and a prayer card or some sacred object that you find healing. You might even keep the spa basket near the TV and encourage your child to indulge in self-care rather than playing video games or watching TV. Through this home-spa experience you can help translate your ideas of what relaxation means from passive consumption to active self-healing.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

7 Tips for Talking to Your Kid with ADHD
Everyone has their own way of communicating. Even when you know someone really well, they can say something that flies right over your head. So we lea...
How do I know if I have ADHD as an adult?
Edward M. Hallowell, MDEdward M. Hallowell, MD
The most powerful sign that you may have ADHD as an adult is unexplained underachievement, as well a...
Do the recommendations for ADHD treatment differ by age?
Yes, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) guidelines recommend treatments that differ, depending...
What Are the Symptoms of ADHD in Children?