How can I help my child with ADHD control his daydreaming?

The toughest grind for your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is paying close attention when he just wants to space out and dream. The need to follow directions, follow a path, listen to others, practice logical thinking, stay organized, perform, and compete are often at odds with your child's cognitive style. Your child can begin to feel more and more alone as the demands pile up and he falls short. One thing you can do to show your child that his way of thinking and being is highly valued is to create a sacred spacey place. This will be an area in his room, elsewhere in the home, the garage, or even outdoors where he can create a zone to space out, daydream, and follow his inner whims. If he likes to draw, you can include drawing tools and paper in this special space. It can be a play tent that you can purchase at Wal-Mart or Target. It can be a chair with some colorful scarves hanging over the area. It could be an old futon, a sofa to be discarded, or any other soft landing that signals a cozy, comfy space-out time.

This activity, while demonstrating respect for your child's style, can also help him learn how to tell the difference between spacey daydream time and homework time or practice time. If he has a special space in which to be spacey, he'll quickly learn the difference and know how to stay in control and move from spacey to focused. In addition, when the impulse to daydream comes on strong, he can tell himself, "I can wait a few minutes and when I finish this, I'll go to my spacey place." The simple act of creating a literal space for your child's spaciness can both help him to express the gifts of spaciness and limit them at the same time.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Best Doctors for ADHD
Best Doctors for ADHD
If you suspect that you have an attention disorder, ADHD or ADD, your first instinct may be to contact your primary care physician or family doctor—a ...
Does the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 cover adults with ADHD?
Some adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) qualify for benefits under the Reha...
What's the difference between ADD and ADHD?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) -- an all-inclusive term that swallowed up atten...
How Do I Know If I Have ADHD as an Adult?