How can recalling happy memories help my child with ADHD?

Memories and emotions are powerfully connected. You can show your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) the power of creating positive emotions by recalling happy memories as a way for her to self-soothe. Looking back at happy times can have a wonderfully lifting effect. One study even found measurable health benefits in elderly people who spent time with the music of their youth and the magazines they used to love. Rather than teach her this as a specific technique, you can recreate a specific happy memory of your own childhood -- or other memory -- to powerfully etch this lesson into her mind. In this way you provide modeling for searching for a memory and then re-creating it. If your child has any inhibitions, you give her permission by going first.

For this activity, choose a specific memory that makes you feel happy and would be easy to re-create in your environment. You will be feeding your sentimentality and honoring the power of memory, connection, and momentous moments. It will be a reminder for your child that she has the power to create happy memories in her daily life. Put on the music and make the foods that remind you of this memory. Dress up as appropriate and make changes in the environment or go to a place where the memory occurred. Re-create the memory and live in it with your child, sharing with her as much as you can about it. It's a way to connect with your child while showing her how she can create a mood with the environment and memories.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Conditions That May Accompany ADHD
Conditions That May Accompany ADHD
Children, teens, and even adults with ADHD commonly develop one or more overlapping conditions, including anxiety and depression, sleep and personalit...
What is an IEP for learning disabilities for kids and teens with ADHD?
As a parent, you can decide whether to have your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder...
What is ring of fire attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
In ring of fire attention deficit disorder (ADD), there is a pattern of overall high activity in the...
How Do I Know If I Have ADHD as an Adult?