How can I encourage good behavior in my child with ADHD?

One of the most effective ways to encourage good behavior in your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is to continually construct interpretations that her existing behavior is already good behavior. Or you can at least identify ways in which her behavior is meaningful or makes sense in some way. This ability to interpret your child's behavior as having a non-pathological meaning will serve her in many ways and will improve your relationship with her. In some ways, more than anything else in the world, that is what your child wants and needs -- for you to be on her side.

Search for positive explanations for your child's behavior, which will help you become an articulate advocate for your child. It will also help you to teach your child how to do this for herself. This practice becomes very important, because the diagnosis of ADHD has a tendency to make all of the child's behavior seem to others like it is a result of the disorder. In fact, much of your child's behavior may not be related to the diagnosis of ADHD at all.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Top 10 Myths About ADHD
Top 10 Myths About ADHD
Somehow, the more we know about ADHD, the more myths about ADHD seem to arise. And everyone from friends and neighbors to Hollywood celebrities has so...
What does ADHD stand for?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. ADHD is a clinical disorder that can cause...
How can my child's school help with his ADHD?
Dr. Heath A. Cobb, MDDr. Heath A. Cobb, MD
If your child is diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), let the school know...
Does ADHD Affect Women Differently Than Men?