How can I encourage my child with ADHD to share his dreams?

You can start a tradition of sharing dreams with your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) on weekends. It may start slowly, as some of us have trouble remembering what we dream. But if you are consistent in asking for a dream exchange with your child, it is likely that you will begin to remember more. It's okay to remember and talk about a dream fragment or just one feeling or image that stands out if that's all you or your child can remember at first. You don't have to be Sigmund Freud to make sense or meaning out of dreams. Just let yourself have fun and don't take it too seriously. Things to notice are how seemingly small events can loom large in your child's mind. You may be surprised that an event that seemed minor to you needs to be talked about with your child. You may also notice how your child's world is intensely relational -- meaning that they are incredibly sensitive to connection. Your interest in your child's dream world will increase his sense of closeness to you and increase his own awareness of inner forces.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

The Best Way to Handle ADHD in Young Kids
One million viewers a day tune in to ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption to watch Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon debate, inflate and rant about the lat...
How can I get my partner who has ADD to listen to me?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
I think it's important for your attention deficit disorder (ADD) partner to learn to pay closer ...
Does ADHD affect women differently than men?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can look very different in girls than in boys (and i...
How Can the Internet and Cell Phone Worsen Adult ADHD?