How does attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) affect adults and teens?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Being a teenager isn't always easy. Teens with ADHD can have a tough time. School may be a struggle, and some teens take too many risks or break rules. But like children with ADHD, teens can get better with treatment.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder affects teens in much the same way as younger children. Unfortunately teens usually have more schoolwork to do and more obligations. Time management is even more important, as is making any needed modifications to medications.

Try keeping a homework/activity log in a day planner. By doing this, teens will be able to track their commitments. In addition, remember that it is okay to drop an activity if workload becomes overwhelming.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Teens with ADHD and the Challenges Families Face
The teen years can be a roller-coaster ride for most children and families, thanks to hormone changes and boundary pushing. With attention deficit/hyp...
Why do I want to be the center of attention if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Sometimes an attention deficit disorder (ADD) adult's hyperactivity is driven by what I call a "clas...
Impact of ADHD on 5 Key Areas of Adult Life
Impact of ADHD on 5 Key Areas of Adult LifeImpact of ADHD on 5 Key Areas of Adult LifeImpact of ADHD on 5 Key Areas of Adult LifeImpact of ADHD on 5 Key Areas of Adult Life
ADHD can affect several key areas of adult life—areas that are critical to managing home life, being successful at work and fostering close relations...
Boost Your Self-Esteem With Positive Thinking