How can I help my child with ADHD be well-behaved?

One of the biggest tools coaches in the real world use is video. They tape a player's performance and let him watch himself in action. If you have a video camera or a regular camera or can borrow one, you can offer your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) this high-level coaching technique. Reality shows are all the rage, and the kids will love the idea of creating your own family reality show. Pick one day as "reality show day" and have one person take photos or videotape as much candid interaction as possible. You can also take a lead from the shows like Supernanny and Nanny 911 and ask a friend or family member to come into your family to observe and share observations with family members. You might also choose a problematic behavior of your ADHD child and, like a producer of a reality show, egg your child on to display the bad behavior for the camera or in front of the "supernanny."

Once you have created a reality show -- a videotape, a collection of photos, or the observations of another person -- plan a time to watch the reality show with the whole family. Watch it together and discuss what you see. If you invited an observer to join in the fun, let them share their observations while the family listens. It's amazing what an impact seeing himself on camera can have on your child, making him aware of what his behavior looks like from the outside or how huge his messes have become. The whole family can act as a coach and see what people could do better to connect more, appreciate each other more, and celebrate each other's differences. In addition to correcting bad behaviors, you should focus more on increasing your family's harmony and getting a good laugh out of each other's foibles and eccentricities.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
What mental health problems do adults with ADHD commonly experience?
Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MDDr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
More than half of adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have other mood disord...
What is the role of fantasy in adult attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Fantasies have a truth of their own. We think of fantasies as by definition false. But fantasies a...
How Do I Know If I Have ADHD as an Adult?