How can I teach my child with ADHD that it's okay not to know everything?

Your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may expect you, as the parent, to be all-knowing. She may even feel a great deal of pressure herself to always be in-the-know and may try to hide it when she finds herself at a loss. Of course, it's natural to be ignorant of things sometimes, especially for a child. Therefore, you will be doing her a favor to teach her that no one knows everything all the time, and that it's okay to not know.

The next time your child asks you a question that you don't have the answer to, simply shrug your shoulders in a silly and dramatic way while saying in an even sillier tone of voice, "I don't know." Clown around for a while and say it over and over again, making it funnier and funnier. By teaching her that there is no shame in not knowing, you are opening her up to be a better learner and problem solver. In order to solve a problem, you have to recognize that you need more research or more information. If your child is free to acknowledge when she lacks knowledge about something, she will feel better able to go after the information she needs without shame.

When you play this game, go ahead and invite your child to join you in a series of silly shrugs. While this can create a great opportunity for enjoying some silly laughter and help take the pressure off you and your child, the activity itself is also a great stress relief. The simple act of shrugging your shoulders can relieve built-up tension and can be a type of yoga or body therapy that targets and alleviates the overwhelming feeling that the world is on your shoulders. When you add the phrase "I don't know" to the physical relief, you and your child will have a powerful cue to use in difficult situations to gain perspective on the true meaning of education and learning.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Affirmation Important for Kids with ADHD
Several years ago when Hank Aaron was asked, “What would you do differently if you played baseball today?” the always graceful home-run king (at the t...
How can I get more information on ADHD?
If you think you have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), talk to your doc. Most people...
What should I do if my child with ADHD doesn't want to go to school?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
If your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) says he doesn't want to go to sch...
Your Child Has ADHD? How to Work With His or Her Teacher