How can I help my child with ADHD stay interested in learning?

Because children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) learn through their senses, anchoring lessons firmly in the sensual world of experience will help them to be more involved in what is happening in the classroom.

As a parent, you can engage your child’s interest by encouraging these interests rather than dismissing them as distractions. For example, rather than forcing your child to sit down and read quietly, you can ask the teacher to tell you the topic of study ahead of time and then allow for some time to observe or explore in ways that are related to lesson plans. If you cannot find a way to connect the material with sensual learning, then you might offer an opportunity for nature exploration around the neighborhood to help your child prepare for book learning.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

A Mother's Concern About ADHD
A Mother's Concern About ADHD
Matthew, an active 7-year-old, and his mother, Judy, came to see me. From the moment Judy began talking, I noticed tears welling up in her eyes. "Mat...
What are some benefits of distractibility and impatience in adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
The key deficit of attention deficit disorder (ADD) is distractibility. But what distracts the ADD...
What can I do for my teen with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
One of the main symptoms of ADHD is impulsiveness - the tendency to act without considering possible...
The Attention Test to Determine Your Adult ADHD Risk