How can I help my child with ADHD handle fear and anxiety?

Anxiety and fear can do a lot of damage to your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), including holding him back in school and in his social relationships. You want your child to be able to heed appropriate fear without being crippled by a fear of the unknown. One way you can "inoculate" your child from being limited by fear is to tell him about the fear-busting superpower.

In this exercise you will set aside a day to have fun exploring something that your child has anxiety about but which can easily be reframed as an adventure. Point out to your child that superheroes have to bust out of their comfort zone every day. Emphasize that this bravery in the face of fear is how these superheroes achieve so much. To further encourage your child to face his fears, try to pair the fear with something your child loves and is passionate about. For example, if your child loves animals but struggles with anxiety in social relationships because of past rejection, you might encourage him to plan a social event that involves animals on Adventure Day. In preparation for Adventure Day, observe some of your child's fears or ask directly about things that make him nervous. Spend some time connecting with him, talking about how fun and exciting it can be to do new things and how great it is that he will have the chance to activate his fear-busting superpower. Plan Adventure Day with your child or the whole family and support your child, coaching him through the experience of doing something that is a little bit scary.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Once hedge-funder Martin Shkreli got his hands on the rights to the life-saving, toxoplasmosis medication, Daraprim, he raised its price from $13.50 p...
Does attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) go away with time?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) does not go away with time and the effects can get w...
How can I get my partner who has ADD to listen to me?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
I think it's important for your attention deficit disorder (ADD) partner to learn to pay closer ...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration