How can I help my child with ADHD accomplish complex tasks?

Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may be overwhelmed by tasks that seem to require too much effort or skill. Moreover, children with ADHD often are unable to coordinate the sequential steps that comprise a complex task. A task analysis is a technique that breaks a complex or difficult task into its component parts. By doing so, a complex task may be converted into a more manageable task for children with ADHD. This provides the child with a sense of achievement and success as the child masters each of the component skills that comprise the integrated skill.

By breaking a difficult task into a series of more manageable tasks, both the child and parent/teacher will feel less overwhelmed. A task analysis helps to redirect attention to gradual improvement (rather than to ultimate goal attainment) and thereby encourages feelings of success instead of failure.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
What mental health problems do adults with ADHD commonly experience?
Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MDDr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
More than half of adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have other mood disord...
What can I do for my teen with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
One of the main symptoms of ADHD is impulsiveness - the tendency to act without considering possible...
What Happens When ADD Goes Untreated?
What Happens When ADD Goes Untreated?