How can I help my child with ADHD get benefits from being in nature?

Research shows that kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) who get out in nature improve in their ability to concentrate and follow directions. But many of the activities kids typically engage in out in nature include performance demands or competition. Create an activity out in nature that has no rules, plans, or competition. A simple activity is a nature soak where you simply spend time in nature soaking up the natural beauty. You can lie on the ground and watch the clouds go by, or simply walk in a park with no goal or purpose.

You can also create a nature adventure by going out in the middle of the rain, wearing rain gear and letting you and your child jump in puddles and feel the rain on your face. You might also find a safe place to walk at night and take the time to gaze at the stars. By seeking out experiences in nature you may usually avoid (for instance, you might ordinarily avoid being in the rain), you will help meet your child's need for seeking stimulation, which may be the root of a lot of the behavior that gets your child in trouble. If you honor that your child needs both nature and these walks on the wild side, you can feed that need through excursions into alternative weather conditions or unstructured activities that you habitually avoid.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Top 10 Myths About ADHD
Top 10 Myths About ADHD
Somehow, the more we know about ADHD, the more myths about ADHD seem to arise. And everyone from friends and neighbors to Hollywood celebrities has so...
What type of ADHD is most common in girls?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Young girls can have the "predominantly inattentive" form of ADHD, just like they can have the "pred...
How can I get more information on ADHD?
If you think you have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), talk to your doc. Most people...
How Does Adult ADHD Affect My Relationships?