How can I start to appreciate the behavior of my child with ADHD?

One of the benefits of trying to see the world through your attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD) child's eyes is that you will forge a strong connection with him. But this connection must be earned. It may require you to take a very different attitude than you normally hold. You could find it helpful to think of yourself as an anthropologist, observing your child quietly, with deep curiosity but no judgment, trying to make sense of the world in which his behavior serves an important function. When you begin to develop this skill, whole new worlds will open up for you. I remember one time my son was unrolling paper towels across the whole house. I paused a moment before rebuking him, calming myself down and asking him what he was doing. He told me he was building a train track for his imaginary train. I decided to demonstrate respect for his imagination and let him "waste" the paper towels.

Seek to learn about something your child is obsessed with that you actively dislike. Ask your child to teach you about something that you typically nag him about -- it might be his fashion choices, the music he listens to, a video game, or even a TV show. Act like an anthropologist and try to understand why the behavior that is irritating to you is so meaningful to your child. If the offending behavior of choice is listening to music that you find execrable, ask for a music appreciation lesson.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Affirmation Important for Kids with ADHD
Several years ago when Hank Aaron was asked, “What would you do differently if you played baseball today?” the always graceful home-run king (at the t...
How is IQ related to ADHD?
According to the National Resource Center on ADHD, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADH...
Getting Organized with ADHD
Getting Organized with ADHDGetting Organized with ADHDGetting Organized with ADHDGetting Organized with ADHD
Having ADHD does not mean you have to live a chaotic life. 
Does Integrative Medicine Have a Role in Brain Health?