How can my adult attention deficit disorder (ADD) make me a leader?

As an adult with attention deficit disorder (ADD), you're probably more interested in shaping your environment than being shaped by it. This is a fundamental characteristic of ADD; it's often labeled "defiance" or sometimes "inability to follow directions." It means you want to impact or change the world you live in. Outside of the classroom this is called leadership. If you can effectively tap into your desire to change the way the world operates, you will go far in your professional career.

For example, many of my ADD clients not only want to solve their own problems, they want to change how I conduct their therapy sessions. Sometimes this takes the form of telling me about new technologies that I could use for my phone consultations; other times they tell me how I should proceed in therapy. Indeed, many ADD clients come to me with specific approaches they would like to use. If it falls within my areas of competence I'm happy to try out whatever they suggest.

In the workplace, this is called innovation. In the current culture -- and most industries -- innovation is the only way to survive and thrive. Being at the head of a technological curve and doing things better and more quickly can help businesses get ahead. This is true even if you aren't in the technology industry itself -- the adoption of cutting-edge technologies drives most industries.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Talking with Your Child's Doctor
Talking with Your Child's Doctor
By now you're probably aware that your child's ADHD can't be cured. But with your help, it can be effectively managed. One of the most important thing...
Who makes up the support network for a child with ADHD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Support networks for children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) include parents, ...
How is ADHD different than just being overly excited or distracted?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Having ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) is different than just being overly excited o...
Do Adults with ADHD Have a Higher Chance of Drug or Alcohol Addiction?