How can my child with ADHD use impulsivity to be creative?

The same urges that cause problems in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can also be seen as creative urges for self-expression. By learning to feed urges through creative expression, your child can learn to both honor his impulses and channel those urges in creative ways. Creativity is often experienced as an urge to create. When all impulses are suppressed, creativity often gets suppressed, too. Being connected to your impulses and urges is important for both you and your child. For your child diagnosed with ADHD, connecting with his impulses allows him to utilize one of his wonderful gifts -- creativity. When creativity is combined with discipline, your child has the potential to be a superstar.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Gain Control Over Negative Self-Talk
Gain Control Over Negative Self-Talk
“I'm so stupid.” “I'm always messing things up.” “No one ever wants to be with me.” For those with ADD, these types of negative beliefs are common....
Does ADHD affect women differently than men?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can look very different in girls than in boys (and i...
What does attention deficit mean in ADHD?
Constance Mofunanya, DNPConstance Mofunanya, DNP
Attention deficit means inability to pay attention. In people with this disorder, inattention appear...
Keep a Journal to Track Adult ADHD Symptoms