Are children, teens and college students with ADHD eligible for benefits under Section 504?

Yes, when you’re packing for college, you can tuck your 504 benefits in with your socks and iPod. Your college’s responsibilities are a little different from your high school, though. Since college isn’t free like a public high school, the administration is not required to seek out people with disabilities. However, if you identify yourself as someone with ADHD, you are eligible for certain accommodations like note takers, extra time on tests, and a private room for exams. But remember, it’s up to you to seek out these services.

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Practitioner

Children and teens with ADHD
Section 504 is part of the Rehabilitation Act (RA) of 1973, which is designed to protect people with disabilities. Section 504 ensures that some children and teenagers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have free and appropriate learning opportunities in their schools. Some of the benefits granted under Section 504 include:

  • The right to be placed in a regular classroom
  • The right to receive additional services and accommodations in school
  • The right to receive special education services

However, Section 504 does not cover all young people with ADHD. Children and teenagers with ADHD symptoms must demonstrate that their condition impairs their ability to do their schoolwork. A mental health professional or other specialist will evaluate each person to determine whether they qualify for protection under Section 504.

Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can get benefits under Section 504 or the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) but not both. Deciding which program best meets your child's needs can be difficult. In general, if your child does not need a lot of accommodation to be able to learn, Section 504 is the appropriate choice. If you child needs more extensive services, IDEA may be the appropriate choice. Most kids with ADHD who do not qualify for IDEA do qualify for Section 504.

College students with ADHD
Some college students with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) qualify for benefits under Section 504. Section 504 is part of the Rehabilitation Act (RA) of 1973, which makes discrimination against people with disabilities illegal in some circumstances. Section 504 outlaws discrimination against disabled people in places that receive money from federal sources. For college students, this law includes public and private colleges and universities that receive federal funding.

If you are a college student with ADHD and you think you qualify for benefits under Section 504, you will need to provide evidence that your condition significantly impairs your ability to complete your schoolwork. Once you have done that, you may be eligible to receive special accommodations in college.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Extra Care for Kids with ADHD and Aggression
Extra Care for Kids with ADHD and Aggression
If your kid struggles with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you probably know there's no simple answer to treatment. But most experts ...
Read More
Can young people with ADHD also have mental health disorders?
Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MDDr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
Anxiety disorders and ADHD Studies show that about 30 percent of children with attention deficit hyp...
More Answers
What is naturalist intelligence?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Howard Gardner described naturalist intelligence as a separate type of intelligence uniquely cap...
More Answers
Work Out to Manage Stress and ADHD
Work Out to Manage Stress and ADHD

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.