As a parent of a child with ADHD, how can I increase my energy?

Parents of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) children are often in desperate need of finding ways to increase their own energy level in order to work effectively with their high-energy children. The quickest way to raise your energy level is to take your own needs and passions seriously. Many parents feel guilty if they spend time, money, and resources to honor their own needs. However, the parent's well-being has a direct impact on the child's. To put it simply, if your energy is high, then you will be more capable of connecting with your high-energy child.

Get out a piece of paper and a pencil, and write at the top "I would be delighted to…" Then write down the first ten things that come to mind. Choose at least two to put into action this week. By feeding your own passions and needs, you will be reenergized. You will also serve as a better model for your child as you teach her how to care for herself. Taking your passions seriously may be as simple as signing up for a tap-dance class, or as complex as restructuring your entire family's schedule in order to simplify your home life. Begin taking a small first step in the direction of meeting your own needs.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
Is ADHD a real disorder?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) is a very real disorder. It is a condition that make...
How can my child's school help with his ADHD?
Dr. Heath A. Cobb, MDDr. Heath A. Cobb, MD
If your child is diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), let the school know...
What Are the Symptoms of ADHD in Children?