Do children with ADHD experience emotional sensitivity or other problems?

Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Psychology Specialist

What can look like uncontrollable outbursts in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) children can often be directly traced to emotional sensitivity. Your child's behavior is more extreme than other children's because your child feels more deeply. This depth of feeling and heightened awareness can be a great gift in life. If you can train, coach, or teach your child to name her emotions and tolerate them, she can become an emotional genius.

The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

About two-thirds of children with ADHD also have other problems, such as depression, anxiety, dyslexia, or trouble writing. About 35 percent of all children with ADHD have oppositional defiant disorder, which makes them extremely stubborn, defiant, and aggressive and causes them to throw tantrums. It’s thought that about 25 percent of children with ADHD have anxiety disorders in which they have excessive worry, fear, or panic.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don’t Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent, too!-to avoid critical, common blunders where it matters most: in the ER, pediatrics ward, all-night pharmacy, exam room, or any other medical hot spot for kids. These tips could save your child’s life one day. Even tomorrow." -Dr. Jen Making health care decisions for your child can be overwhelming in this age of instant information. It's easy to feel like you know next to nothing or way too much. Either way, you may resort to guessing instead of making smart choices. That’s why the nation's leading health care oversight group, The Joint Commission, joined forces with Dr. Jennifer Trachtenberg on this book: to help you make the right decisions, whether you're dealing with a checkup or a full-blown crisis. The Smart Parent's Guide will give you the information you need to manage the pediatric health care system. Dr. Jen understands the questions parents face—as a mom, she's faced them herself. She walks you through everything: from how to choose the best ER for kids (not adults) to when to give a kid medicine (or not to) to how pediatricians care for their own children (prepare to be surprised). Her goal is your goal: to protect the health of your children. There simply is nothing more important.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Once hedge-funder Martin Shkreli got his hands on the rights to the life-saving, toxoplasmosis medication, Daraprim, he raised its price from $13.50 p...
How is conduct disorder related to ADHD?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
While more than 40% of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have opposi...
What are some benefits of distractibility and impatience in adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
The key deficit of attention deficit disorder (ADD) is distractibility. But what distracts the ADD...
How Can Adult ADHD Affect My Marriage?
How Can Adult ADHD Affect My Marriage?