Are adults with ADD more aware of other people's thoughts and feelings?

In adults with attention deficit disorder (ADD), spaciness can actually be seen as a gift of reading other people's unconscious. By unconscious, I simply mean any feelings, thoughts, or intentions that people don't directly acknowledge or admit, sometimes even to themselves. Sigmund Freud  wrote that the best approach for a therapist to contact the unconscious is to adopt a stance of free-floating attention. I argue that this stance is precisely how an ADD person operates on a daily basis.
The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths

If you have attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may act impulsively, daydream, and have trouble focusing, but clinical studies suggest that these same symptoms may make you exceptionally creative,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

When Parents Have ADHD
When Parents Have ADHD
Did you know that many parents of children with ADHD have the disorder, too? It's true. Adults with ADHD are often undiagnosed or misdiagnosed -- unti...
What is temporal lobe attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
People with temporal lobe attention deficit disorder (ADD) have the hallmark features of ADD plus sy...
How can being in nature help me focus if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Many of my clients with attention deficit disorder ADD have found that being in nature dramaticall...
The Attention Test to Determine Your Adult ADHD Risk