Are ADHD medications overprescribed to children?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Some critics say that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications are overprescribed to children. However, others believe that many children with ADHD are being underserved. In 1998, less than three percent of children in elementary school were taking medications regularly, although 99 percent of these medications were stimulant medications for ADHD. So, while the total number of children taking ADHD medications is small, ADHD medications account for most prescription medication use at schools.

The National Resource Center on ADHD advises doctors who treat children with ADHD to closely monitor children taking ADHD medications. The National Resource Center on ADHD also reports that the use of stimulant medications for ADHD is increasing. However, experts are not sure whether this is due to a rise in diagnoses and treatment or whether children are receiving medications for ADHD who would not have received them in the past.

Continue Learning about ADHD

helpful resources and support for adhd
helpful resources and support for adhd
getting support having trouble managing your adhd on your own ? or your child ? successfully managing adhd and living life to the fullest does not hav...
setting your child with adhd up for success at school
ensuring a child with adhd will succeed in the classroom is a group effort between parents , siblings , and doctors .
how do i know if my child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ?
Your child's doctor may make a diagnosis. Or sometimes the doctor may refer you to a mental health s...
how can adult adhd affect my marriage ?
how can adult adhd affect my marriage ?