Does attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) go away with time?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) does not go away with time and the effects can get worse. A project not finished during the school years, may result in a failing grade, but as an adult may result in a lost job. However, people can learn to modify their lives in ways that minimize the effects of ADHD. Lifestyle modification can be done both with and without medication, so talk to your doctor about the right choice for you.
The symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) often persist for life. This means that 1% to 2% of adults in the United States struggle with ADHD, but ADHD does go away with time for some people. If your child has mild ADHD symptoms that respond well to medications and behavioral treatment, he may be more likely to outgrow the disorder than others. About one in three children with ADHD will outgrow the disorder completely.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Signs and Symptoms of ADHD in Adults
Signs and Symptoms of ADHD in Adults
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a condition that often starts in childhood. And as you grow into adulthood, the symptoms typically ...
What are common reasons adults with ADD fail?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
The following are some common reasons that adults with ADD fail:Not listening to others Not follow...
How can I work with my child's school and teachers to help my ADHD child learn?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Establish regular communication with the teacher to discuss your child's performance, needs, and beh...
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix