How is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) diagnosed in kids?

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is really a diagnosis of exclusion in kids. That means other conditions that can be affecting attention and concentration have to be considered and ruled out. These can include depression, anxiety, trauma, difficult family circumstances, or maybe some medical conditions. Once any other source that could be explaining the troubles with attention and concentration have been eliminated, the diagnosis of ADHD is made.

Unfortunately, there is no objective test that can reliably measure ADHD. Doctors have to rely on examination of the child, a careful clinical history taking process, and collateral information from other informants, such as school teachers, parents, relatives, and the like.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Managing ADHD With CBT, Sleep Therapy and More
In one episode of The Simpsons, Principle Skinner calls in Marge and Homer to discuss Bart’s disruptive behavior that, he said, was fueled by attentio...
Can young people with ADHD also have mental health disorders?
Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MDDr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
Anxiety disorders and ADHD Studies show that about 30 percent of children with attention deficit hyp...
What type of ADHD is most common in girls?
A common image of a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a little boy runni...
How Can Adult ADHD Affect My Marriage?
How Can Adult ADHD Affect My Marriage?