How is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) diagnosed in kids?

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is really a diagnosis of exclusion in kids. That means other conditions that can be affecting attention and concentration have to be considered and ruled out. These can include depression, anxiety, trauma, difficult family circumstances, or maybe some medical conditions. Once any other source that could be explaining the troubles with attention and concentration have been eliminated, the diagnosis of ADHD is made.

Unfortunately, there is no objective test that can reliably measure ADHD. Doctors have to rely on examination of the child, a careful clinical history taking process, and collateral information from other informants, such as school teachers, parents, relatives, and the like.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Recognizing ADHD Symptoms in Children
Recognizing ADHD Symptoms in Children
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is currently the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder in children. According to the Centers for...
What does ADHD stand for?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. ADHD is a clinical disorder that can cause...
Is ADHD a disability?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is considered a disability under federal law. Se...
How Do I Know If I Have ADHD as an Adult?